Built in 1910 and converted to lofts in 2003. The building is located at 1420 NW Lovejoy St.
A HISTORY OF THE MARSHALL-WELLS BUILDING
Marshall-Wells is a genuine 1910 industrial warehouse, with high ceilings, large windows, and original woodwork. This is a classic industrial look that other "loft" projects can only imitate.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988, the Marshall-Wells building is one of the Pearl District's last remaining industrial warehouses suitable for residential conversion. It is highly ranked in the Portland Historic Resource Inventory because it was specially engineered with an unusually solid structural system.
1643—A Douglas-fir seedling takes root that will in 1910 become one of the 92 massive support posts on the ground floor of the building.
1893—The Marshall-Wells Hardware Company is established when Albert Marshall, of Duluth, Minnesota, buys the Chapin-Wells Hardware Company, also of Duluth and gives the new business a new name. This is a wholesale company dealing in hardware, saddlery, paints, and mining and railroad supplies.
1901—The first West Coast branch of the Marshall-Wells Hardware Company opens its doors in Portland at the corner of SW 4th & Pine Street.
1910—The Company builds the first 4 stories of Warehouse #2 between 14th and 15th Avenues at NW Lovejoy. Nationally acclaimed architectural firm (Daniel) Burnham and Company of Chicago was also influential in the origin of the modern skyscraper and for many of the city of Chicago's urban planning features.
1978—The Marshall-Wells warehouse is purchased from Coast-to-Coast Stores and occupied by the Layton Creations Company, pillow manufacturers.
1999—The Marshall-Wells Company warehouse is bought by Evergreen Northern LLC of Portland; Robert Ball, owner.
2001—Re-construction begins on the historic warehouse, turning the 7-story building into 164 classic lofts.